Handling Sashiko Threads
What do you do first when you purchase a pack of sashiko thread? Let me show you the how to handle the Sashiko thread.
1. Open up the packet and remove the paper band. You can just slide it off.
2. Open out the skein very carefully and look for the extra loop of thread tied around the skein. This point sometime buried in, so carefully open up the thread.
3. Hold this point tight with your index finger and thumb, and shake the thread to make it completely open.
4. Cut through all the threads opposite from this point.
5. Cut a couple of 6 inch or so length of threads out from the skein.
6. Tie it around the loop tightly.
7. Hold the tied point under a sewing machine foot, or pin to some place stable, and loosely plait the thread to keep them tidy. Tie with remaining 6 inch thread at the loose end.
8. Draw individual thread out from the top of the plait. The thread you just pulled out is about 36″ or so long. Cut it in half. I don’t recommend using a long thread. It gets tangled or untwisted as you stitch.